Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Who needs Hip Advice?: Weed Your Own Garden!

Reposted from August 26, 2011 http://hipurbanfarmer.myblogsite.com/entry28.html#body

Melissa Jeter aka HUF


As great as the words on this paper look, they are not my garden. C-o-r-n are just characters that symbolize the actual corn in my garden.  Having said that, I was reminded the other day about weeding my garden.

My potatoes haven’t come up at all I lamented to my fellow community gardener.
Well, it helps if you weed, my friend replied.

Well,  I could have taken that comment as a slap in the face, but no.  She was merely stating the facts.  I later thanked her for being a great friend, because the truth is sometimes, most times, you’ve got to stop complaining about the potatoes and and pull the weeds that are taking up the space where those potatoes could be growing.

GUILTY as charged!

We are sentenced to a life of pulling weeds out of the garden in order to get the potatoes to grow. Truth be told, I’ve overextended myself in gardening this year.

And how many times have you overextended yourself then complain about the potatoes not growing? What are your p-o-t-a-t-o-e-s?

There’s no Mystery to this! Pulling weeds takes time and it is work! The point of it all is to reap what you sow.  If you you are careless about sowing your seeds, you may get some potatoes, you may not. Certainly, you will get weeds, though.

And there is no point in getting angry about it, because unwanted plants will grow when you haven’t mulched or made some kind of plan to deal with the unwanted plants that will choke the life out of your potatoes. If you have enough self-regard you will be able to accept the truth of the matter.  You could weed a little more often. . .a lot more often.

If you, like I have overextended yourself in the g-a-r-d-e-n, then it is time to start pulling weeds. Clear a path, make some space.  You can’t get any potatoes without weeding.  This is what my friend pointed out to me.

She’s right!  I could weed a lot more!!!  Hip advice from a fellow community gardener.


one comment
(raises hand)...and I could mulch and fertilize more, and have DECENT garlic, instead of pitiful garlic.
Linda (email) - 20 08 11 - 13:40




1 comment:

  1. Great post, Melissa. I need to take it to heart both literally and figuratively. My lawn is an embarrassment and symbolic of my lost priorities.

    ReplyDelete