Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Starting the Seeds: The Season of Faith

Reposted from march 20, 2011

Spring always heralds the new year for me. Every year, I start my seeds about this time. I use black and white newspaper or white paper intended for recycling and I make little cups. The newspaper functions similar to a peat moss cup. So that's my seed starting technique,  I'll get to more of that in a minute.
First I must say that every year, I worry that the seeds will not germinate. My rational mind-well maybe it's not so rational- but I worry that the seeds will not become plants. Why? Why in the world does a seed so tiny, put in dirt, a mixture of peat and vermiculite or just seed starting mix, spritzed with water even become a plant? Do you see what I'm asking? WHY? Not how?  It is a question for contemplation.
So the season of starting seeds is a season where I must take a leap of faith. Faith, as a vision of tomatoes, lettuce, beets, basil, etc., full grown. Faith of vegetable plants cut and chopped and put on a plate. Faith that I will be fed.
Moreover, some seeds will grow better this year than they did last year and that's what I have to accept as the harvest at the end of the growing season. Much like a Buddhist monk with a begging bowl, I am going out into the world with my cup, taking only what the generous and compassionate put in my bowl.  I wonder and I worry what will this year's harvest be like before the seeds are even planted.
The worry is so great that I sometimes, procrastinate starting seeds indoors. I am slow to get started. I fear that I will fail as if it is me that is doing all the germinating and growing. Much like Peter reaching out to Jesus, I fall into the water due to my lack of faith.  Yet, it really doesn't take much, I realize right before I take the next leap of faith.  I am only part of the process.  A small part, yet powerful enough to encourage the growth of what will be a feast.
So  I clear up the basement and slide my little greenhouse under the lights. I fill the newspaper cups with seed starting mix, labeling the cups with the current date. I get busy with starting the seeds. I put my faith into action. I give them a warm spritz of water and zip up the greenhouse and wait for the little green shoots. Happy New Year!  Happy Equinox! Happy Spring!

Articles, books, and websites of inspiration for this blog entry:
"Begging Bowl " http://www.religionfacts.com/buddhism/things/begging_bowl.htm  Accessed March 20, 2011
Biblical Literacy: The Essential Bible Stories Everyone Needs to Know by Timothy K. Beal
How to make newspaper cups for seedlings http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ9xcRVm5Rc Accessed March 20, 2011





No comments:

Post a Comment