Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Growth and Abundance

 Reposted from October 5, 2011 http://hipurbanfarmer.myblogsite.com/entry14.html#body


It's raining and yes, I've been gardening. My hands still have dirt on them and the dirt under my nails reminds me of the little phalanges of children who've made mud pies. My overalls are wet and muddy as well. And boy oh boy was that fun!

The earth is abundant. I was reminded of this today as I looked at those little lettuce seedlings. My how they have grown. Take a look at the new set of photos I've taken.

I am so connected to the land of my home. Land is a foundational part of home and culture. My beliefs and values are shaped by this land that I work. The mud on my hands and clothes are the artifacts of the culture I create. Even more so, when I take what I have grown and transform it into something that feeds and heals me, I am nurtured by the earth as a child wrapped in a mama's arms.

In gardening, I am loved and nourished. I feel complete and there is not much more outside myself that I find I need. My suffering is the past as I witness the growth of lettuce and experience the life cycle of growing plants. I can see the use for what has rotted and has become valuable as compost. This compost will fertilize the lettuce, sage, peppermint, lavender, spinach, and a few carrots.

So, though, I will use a brush and soap to scrub away the dirt on my hands what will remain is the joy I received from digging in the mud. The weariness of the weeks gone by recede. And instead, I perceive the value in rotting things that hold the possibilities of growth and abundance.

lettuce in pots


reposted from facebook May 5, 2010



No comments:

Post a Comment