Tuesday, August 30, 2011

What's that garden tool doing in your car?

Reposted April 16, 2011

I have a pitchfork. . . . hmmm that sound like a threat.  Rest assured, it is not a threat and I do have a pitch fork.  I travel with my pitchfork between my home garden and community garden.  I don't have truck for my pitchfork, though.  So, I pull the back seats down, open the trunk and insert that pitchfork into the car.
From April to October, I'll ride around town with this beauty in my little black car.  When I go to work? pitch fork. Shopping? pitchfork. Art walk on Thursday night?  Yep, pitchfork.
I am not usually a self-conscious person;  I have no concern about who sees my pitchfork in the back of my car.  Once, I even traveled to see a friend in Cleveland with the pitchfork in my car. Of course, this must have been an odd sight to see; I was wearing faux leather pumps and a nice little fitted purple dress. I was going to dinner.   I just forgot to take it out of the car.  I just threw my bags on top of the pitchfork and drove off. I didn't even think about my pitchfork until I got lost and had to ask for directions at a toll booth.
 It was gardening season damn it.  Neither lack of truck, nor travel to distant places, can shame me.  I have a pitchfork and I know how to use it . . .
 How I use my pitchfork
  • turning the compost
  • carrying thick heavy mulch
  • aerating the lawn
  • digging out potatoes 
How would you use yours? 
Books about Pitchforks
  • Homemade contrivances and how to make them : 1001 labor-saving devices for farm, garden, dairy, and workshop. New York : Skyhorse Pub., c2007.  Call no. 681.763 Hom
  • Holy shit : managing manure to save mankind / Gene Logsdon ;  illustrations by Brooke Budner. White River Junction, VT : Chelsea Green Pub. Co., c2010.  Call no. 631.861 Log. 

No comments:

Post a Comment