Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Urban Gardening changes neighborhoods

Reposted from March 24, 2011
I've always believed that urban neighborhoods could be transformed if people grew gardens.  I see that there are more people in the Toledo, Ohio community who feel the same. While I was getting my morning cup of joe at the local gas station, my friend called me and asked me to get home so we could go to the groundbreaking of a greenhouse in our neighborhood.  My initial thoughts were :What?  I gotta go to work.
I hurried home, quickly dressed for work, and we both jumped in the car to drive down to the greenhouse on Oneida Street.
Well as it turns out, there was a press conference on Oneida Street with Mike Szuberla of Toledo Grows, Marcy Kaptur Ohio State Representative, City Council Representative Joe McNamara,  Woody Trautman of Multifaith Grows, as well as employees from United North and the youth who work in the Oneida Greenhouse. In all there were about 30 some people there. 
"See, now aren't you glad I dragged you out here," my friend said.
I crowded into the back of the greenhouse and listened to the speakers. Mike Szuberla of Toledo Grows was speaking, while the cameras from 13 abc news rolled. At the back of the greenhouse, I could mostly see the backsides of all the attendees, including Rep. Marcy Kaptur.  However, on this chilly morning in the  warm and humid greenhouse, I could see the gardeners off to the side.One person was watering what looked to me like newly sprouted lettuce.  I saw a few young men from the neighborhood. These young men work in the garden and grow food.  Their lives in this neighborhood have been changed as a result of this greenhouse, I thought.

Marcy Kaptur was now speaking. A veiled woman I have seen many times in my neighborhood waved me to come in to the greenhouse further. "Come on in here, " she said.  Now I could see Marcy Kaptur speaking, as well as the rest of the greenhouse. I could see and hear the hydroponic garden which holds talapia.  I could see the head volunteer who works with the young men in the garden.  I took out my phone and began snapping pictures.
I felt a great sense of community pride as I listened to the speakers and observed the greenhouse surroundings. Just then the alarm on my phone rang. The ring was a reminder that I had thirty minutes to get to work. My adrenaline kicked in again.  I gotta go, I whispered to my friend.  I inched my way out of the greenhouse; however I felt invigorated to get to work in my own garden and proud that my neighborhood is being transformed through gardening.



More information on the ground breaking can be found here:
http://abclocal.go.com/wtvg/story?section=news/local&id=8032053
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Oneida-North-Toledo-Greenhouse-Project-T-Grows/141779492528492


No comments:

Post a Comment