Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Harvest? What Harvest!

Reposted from July 29, 2011 http://hipurbanfarmer.myblogsite.com/entry23.html#body


by Melissa Jeter aka HUF
Harvest Season

Well, as harvest season is upon us, I look out upon the land and I wonder, , , How the heck did all that THAT get there!  The corn is 6 foot tall, the tomato plants are trying to give them a run for their money; the sunflowers are starting second and third flowers; the blackberries have all been picked and the basil is up to my knees. The potato plants have sprawled over their raised bed and on to the sidewalk. Mint and lemon balm have grown wild in the landscaping. And a few seeds have even sprouted in the cracks of the sidewalk.

Because no,I refuse to use roundup or some other seed destroying chemicals. That ain’t hip.

My neighbor looks over her fence into my yard, she shakes her head and walks away. I think she’s making judgements about the weeds in my yard.  

Little does she know that this is an urban farm!

However, I begin to think, “It’s time to put this puppy to bed.”  So I am thinking about how I can pull the mint and lemon balm out of the garden space to make it all nice and neat. . . organized.  

The last time I did this my neighbor, exclaimed, that’s the best thing you have ever done to the yard. Yeah, just forget about the mint and dill, I have given you over the past few years.


Anyway, the plan, is to pull the mint and lemon balm. It’ll still come back. Cut down the oregano and dry it out.  The blackberry canes will be cut down to the ground, in hopes of more berries next year.


But what about the fun stuff you ask?

I’m still waiting for red tomatoes from my plants. But, it’s almost time to dig up potatoes and I can’t wait to see what they look like. I’ve been trying to hand fertilize the corn just in case there weren’t enough bees buzzing around. I can only hope that this will work and I get corn kernels on the cob. There were a few pods from the soy bean plants. Not as much as I hoped.

In the meantime, I will enjoy the harvest from friends whose earlier planting have yielded great abundance. Thanks, friends!  I am open to receiving any veggies you are wiling to share.

Ain’t Mother Nature Grand!



two comments
Yes she shole is. (Your neighbor knows a lil sumthin about positive reinforcement). Keep on sprouting.
brett (email) - 29 07 11 - 23:27
Thanks, Brett!
HUF - 05 08 11 - 13:51

No comments:

Post a Comment