Thursday, September 1, 2011

Make your own Pesto?


Melissa Jeter aka HUF


Don't mind if I do!



Here's my heuristic:



Go out into your garden and pick basil until you can't stand to pick anymore.


Get some parmesan cheese, garlic, olive oil, and almonds. 

I use almonds, because it's cheaper than pine nuts.






Put as much of the basil as you can in your food processor, along with some garlic, olive oil and parmesan cheese.















Now, go ahead and turn that baby on! I mean get the food processor working.


And then you have pesto. . . 



 
Now you wonder, what the heck do I do with all this pesto.

Why freeze it, of course!



Before I freeze it I go ahead and portion out the pesto. I use a scoop that I measured to be 3 tablespoons.

I press pesto into the scoop and tap it out on to a baking sheet. I take that baking sheet and put it into the freezer until the scoops of pesto are frozen.


Viola! Measured out frozen pesto!



From here I suggest putting the frozen pesto in some kind of container or bag. It's always great to label that container or bag with the date and contents. Just in case you forget what it is and how long it's been there.

I could never forget that it's pesto, but I might forget the day it was made.


If this ain't hip, tell me what is!

No comments:

Post a Comment