Friday, February 21, 2014

Trust Yourself? Why not?

I've learned a few things from being on the farm.  For example, Basil.

Basil is a fantastic herb.  I usually plant it from seed, because I think that is the hip thing to do.  After careful observation and experience, I have been able to discern the true leaves, not just that first set that grows.  Inexperienced hip urban farmers, might think,  Oh wow, Basil! Not yet grasshopper.


 And once those true leaves start to sprout, that's when you can try a little spritz of fertilizer.  And then I watch it grow; I wait to see what it's going to do after I've done my part. Hopefully, that little basil plant will really stretch itself toward the grow light and get too big for the indoor greenhouse.

 And you might think, Oh wow! I can plant this in the ground now.  Nope!  Not yet, little one.  


 Now is the time I show that plant the real light- the SUN and the outdoors. . . but only a little at a time.  this process is called hardening off.  This makes those seedlings strong.  I'm not gonna be out there to protect that plant from the bugs and microbes and whatever else Mother Nature brings once I plant it in the dirt. These seedlings must learn to get tough for the big bad and good microbial world.

 And then, once this is done and after careful observation, I just gotta decide to let those seedlings get their little feet or roots in the soil and play with the big boys.

But how do I know if they will be okay, you ask.  

Well, maybe they will, maybe they won't.  I do trust in my experience- years of observing seedlings and learning from my mistakes.  And in addition, I read, read, read about growing basil  and any other plant I want to grow.  I learn what that seedling will need.  And I trust in my ability to learn, change and adapt.

So go on . . . Trust yourself. Learn, Change, Adapt.  It is the hip thing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment