Tuesday, February 7, 2012

How is the road to freedom farmed?

 by Melissa Jeter aka HUF

I've been blogging about my urban farm for a about a year now. And still there is more that I want to say about it.  Mostly I want to to talk about how urban farming is about the road to freedom.  I came upon a few websites that inspired my desire to become an urban farmer.

The path to freedom is one very good website. I've actually followed this site for years. It has really grown.  When it started the website was a way to document sustainability and homesteading.  It includes it's own blog as well as sections about organic gardening, energy efficiency and so much more.  This is a must follow website if you are interested in urban farming.

Freedom Gardens is another website along the same lines.  But if you want to get subversive. . . because that is the HIP thing to do.  Check out the Guerrilla Gardening blog. There is a little of this going on in Toledo by a few. . . if you happen to see some daffodil in spaces that really seem out of place. . . well you know it was all done in the spirit of the movement to put beauty in public spaces.

In these websites and their blogs, they seem to get out the sentiment that I really want to say.  There is that do-it-yourself spirit, as well as that spirit of self-sufficiency. Even more the path to freedom shows that there is way more to  urban farming than farming.  There's also the crafts that are derived from that DIY, self-sufficient spirit.  There's a motto that can be made from this, Grow your own, and make your own.

I'll be blogging more under the sub heading Grow your Own and Make your Own this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment